Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Hardware Configuration - 19 inch rack mount














































 







































Now I am reading my old posts on my old rack mount assembly.

Rack mount set up - old blog to refresh memory - 2012年2月10日

http://blog.yahoo.com/_ZGD2MIDSBMSKHSUJW23LXRS2EQ/articles/542335/category/My+Netduino

Now I have stacked up too many big blue boxes on the bench top, and it becomes awkard to do maintenance work.  So I am thinking of migrating from big blue box to the industry standard 19 inch rack mount.

*** Old blog posts to refresh memory ***

It took me 2 working days, or about 16 hours, to complete the basic structure of the 19-inch toy rack. The essential dimensions are.

1. 19" wide rack, space between holes = 18.3", internal = 17" * 9" * 9".

2. 9" deep, 9" high, 5RU (1.75", 0.625" between 2 holes, 0.5" between 1.75" sections)

3. 5 mm screws and nuts.

4. aluminium 1.2", * 0.1"


Now I am thinking of setting up some sort of jig for using in testing my servo. Some 6 months ago I have built a 19 inch toy rack to house my Arduinos. It turned out that my design was a failure, because all my Arduinos later grew to tall in fit into my short rack.

Now I think it is OK to modify my 19 inch toy rack to becasue a 19 inch servo rack.

Old 2009jun Tao Blogs

http://blog.jianghu.taobao.com/u/MTMxNjQzMjc1/blog/blog_detail.htm?aid=24056841

http://blog.jianghu.taobao.com/u/MTMxNjQzMjc1/blog/blog_detail.htm?aid=24871709

19 inch toy rack design 2009jun19

Centre to centre distance = 18.3" or 465mm.

Ausrack Plus Design Specification for 19 inch Racks

http://www.brenclosures.com.au/19-inch-rack.htm

When designing a rack system, one of the most important factors to take into account, is whether the racks you select will fit the servers you need. Ausrack cabinets are designed to SSI specifications for Computer Server Cabinets & Enclosures. This is an independent specification that has been endorsed by all the major server and network equipment brands.

Specifications

A rack's mounting fixture consists of two parallel metal strips (referred to as "rails") standing vertically. The rails are separated by a gap of 17.72 inches (450 mm), and are a minimum of 0.657" (16.7mm) wide giving an overall rack width of 19 inches (482.6 mm).

The rails have holes in them at regular intervals, with both rails matching, so that each hole is part of a horizontal pair with a centre-to-centre distance of 18.3 inches (465 mm). The holes in the rails are arranged vertically in repeating sets of three, with centre-to-centre separations of 0.5 inch (12.7 mm), 0.625 inch (15.875 mm), 0.625 inch (15.875 mm). The hole pattern thus repeats every 1.75 inches (44.45 mm).

Racks are divided into regions, 1.75 inches in height , within which there are three complete hole pairs in a vertically symmetric pattern, the holes being centred 0.25 inch (6.4 mm), 0.875 inch (22.2 mm), and 1.5 inch (38.1 mm) from the top or bottom of the region. Such a region is commonly known as an "RU" or "U", for rack unit or unit respectively.

HexaArduino 19-inch Toy Rack 2009aug19

Now I found my toy rack over crowded, with 3 arduinos inside, and another 3 outside. I used to have a 1 to 4 USB 4 port hub to entertain my few arduinos. Now I need another hub to handle a total of 6 arduinos.

I also need to have a USB switch/selector box, so I easily can do the following two things.

1. Switch on and off a fixed arduino from the PC, to avoid interference when other USBs are plugged and unplugged. I often found one arduino automatically resetting itself while another unconcerned arduino's USB is plugged in.

2. Connect a USB port to connect/select any 1 out of 4 arduinos. When 1 arduinos is connected, the other arduinos (up to 3) are first disconnected.

Now I am setting up my little studio, with the following three basic components.

1. Samsung digital camera

2. Acer netbook (Sony DVD writer, Imation external HDD, Cisco wireless router, KingMax 4GB USB flash)

3. 19" toy rack (500mm x 250mm), table top (900mm * 550mm), 19" rack mount (550mm x 400mm)

.END












No comments:

Post a Comment