Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

MCP23017 Troubleshooting notes


Posted by Picasa

My favourite trick is swapping test.  But this time I have two identical circuits to test, so I just compare, no need to swap.  Actually I did swap the two MCP23017's to make sure that the old one is not defective.  I found both workiing OK on the breadboard, and both does not work on the proto board.  Then I removed the level shifter IC from the socket, so that it will not interfere the MCP23017.  Still it did not work.  Then I used a multimeter to compare the voltage levels at each pin for both ICs.

It took me less than 3 minutes to find that for the SCL pin, the working IC has 3.3V, but the problematic IC has 0V.  At first I thought the SCL pin is a clock, and so should have a reading of 3.3/2 around 1.5V.  But on second thought, 3V3 should be the correct value, because RPi pulls both SCL and SDA to 3V3, as I measured on the good IC.

I looked at the SCL on the bad circuit and found the problem - a bad soldering joint which just came off, not even loosely connected!

I resoldered the bad joint and everything looks good - i2cdetect detects 2 I2C devices, at 0x20 and 0x21.

.END



 

No comments:

Post a Comment