Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Raspberry Pi Model A P5 header flat ribbon cable DIY notes






































So I am making a 10 pin ribbon connector for the P5 header.  I have been using ribbon cables for many many years, but I have assembled one myself perhaps only once or at most twice.  I vaguely remember that the last time I made the cable, I did not have a vice, so I just press the thing with a big pair of pliers and the results was ugly.

This time I have a little vice and I carefully adjusted the cables and slowly pressed the connector, thinking that there should come out a nicely looking masterpiece shortly.  But laughably the connector broke in front of my eyes, and I immediately realized that I made a big careless mistake - I did not let the ribbon go under the bracket which breaks when pressed.

So the lesson learnt is that even though a job seems trivial, but if you don't have any experience, then don't be arrogant, double check twice the procedure before you start the job.

The other thing that confused me is the orientation of the pin 1 wire.  This time the P5 header pin numbering is "inverted" looking at the component side.  So I also inverted the cable orientation.  In other words,

The red lined wire 1 does not go to the pin 1 with the triangle, but goes to pin 2.

.END

No comments:

Post a Comment